The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Staten Island YMCA - Counseling Service is seeking a Prevention Counselor to provide implementation and documentation of Evidence-Based Programs (EBPs) as well as providing care to a designated caseload, including the provision of individual, group, and family counseling.
• Deliver Evidence-Based Programs curriculum and conduct prevention counseling to clients and their families on and off-site.
• Conduct screenings and assessments to determine the appropriate level of care, treatment, and discharge planning.
• Document prevention work and other client information in accordance with prevention guidelines, adhering to Census reporting, YMCA of Greater New York, and program standards.
• Complete ongoing reporting, outreach, referrals, and dialogue with professionals involved with the caseload.
• Maintain superior quality assurance and program quality, ensuring contract and regulation compliance, fulfilling clinical standards and best practices.
• Perform group and individual counseling at the branch and conduct intake assessments.
• Develop and foster positive working relationships with onsite and offsite staff, service delivery location personnel, and community partners.
• Serve as task supervisor to interns/volunteers/co-workers.
• Assist supervisor with inputting required documentation into WITNYS and coordinate appropriate services for onsite EBPs and other prevention counseling services.
• Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
• Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events, as appropriate.
• Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
• Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
• BA / BSW / CASAC degree with psychology, social science, or addiction as part of the curriculum. MSW / MHC preferred.
• Minimum of two (2) years of experience in the delivery of curriculum and prevention and/or addiction counseling.
• Experience working with children and families.
• Substance abuse education and knowledge of 12-step philosophy.
• Knowledge of the developmental stages of a child’s physical, emotional and cognitive development.
• Skills in the planning process, oriented art projects, and providing a stimulating group/classroom environment.
• Excellent organization and communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide to the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation in their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with the subject line “Prevention Counselor” to [email protected] or to:
Staten Island YMCA - Counseling Service
Attn.: Cindy Melera
3911 Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10312